Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lakers Update: Preseason Game 1, Lakers 118 Warriors 101

Hey folks! As the Los Angeles Laker (pre)season begins I will be following the team in a very personal and intense way. While I will not be paid to follow the team, it is my joy to be able to represent them on this blog. That being said, without further ado... Game 1.

The blue balls are over (no reference to the Magic), and after 114 days of not seeing the your Lakers play, unless you watched countless re-runs of the Finals on NBAtv, then this was your first opportunity for Laker basketball. I personally couldn't have been more excited to see the old faces and new friends on the Laker squad. I was surrounded by baseball playoffs (eh?) and this game couldn't have come at a better time. So I sat in the living room with coffee, Bailey's and a room full of friends who we're eager to watch...the Dodger game at the bar :) So there I was yelling things at the T.V. during a pre-season game and realizing my perspective was way out of line.

The game was great. It was hard to tell if the Warriors were that bad or the Lakers played well but regardless they led comfortably for the whole game. Ron-Ron, the biggest off-season acquisition, played phenomenally, nearly recorded a triple-double in his debut, with 12 points, 9 boards, and 7 dimes, in 23 minutes. Kobe was Kobe, scoring from everywhere on the floor dropping 22 and 9 in 26 minutes, nearly effortlessly. Gasol did his thing (5-9 from the field) after a very busy summer abroad, leading the Spanish team to a European Championship, and having finger surgery. Perhaps the biggest story of the game was the affect the Bynusaur had down low, extincting every Warrior player in the paint. He scored 24 points in 31 minutes. I would like to see him rebound more, but there isn't a lot to go around when you have two other seven footers and an active Kobe and Artest. Personally my favorite part of the game was seeing Vujacic with his new haircut (Jason circa Laguna Beach season 2) make his first three shots. He actually took a step inside the three-point line to shoot! WOW! Great game. I'd like to see better defense but it's pre-season and it'll come around. Plus if I didn't have anything to bitch about then I wouldn't be a real fan.

Play of the Game: Shannon Brown throwing it down (like Weezy on a track) over Miki Moore.

Zen Master Quote of the Day: "If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball."

That does it for game 1. Be well.

-Cobra Blanca

No comments:

Post a Comment